- (U-1, L-3+4) A very significant place is held in the culture of the country by the ethnic people whose original habitat is in the hilly, forests and rural areas. Farming is their main occupation. They belong to different religions and use their own mother tongue. They possess some common traits in the field of leading lifestyle. They use own hand made tools, utensils, dress, musical instruments etc. They are fond of hunting, fishing, fair, theatre, wrestling, dance, songs etc.
- (U-1, L-5) Bangladeshi cuisine, rich and varied with the use of many spice, tastes delicious and appetizing. Boiled, the staple food of Bangladeshi people, is served with vegetables, curry, lentil soups, fish and meat. Panta hilsha is a popular dish on the occasion of Pohela Boishakh. Besides, ‘Pitha’, a type of sweets, is a traditional food loved by the entire population. Various kinds of sweets are distributed among the friends and relatives when there is a good news.
- (U-3, L-3) The act of keeping ourselves clean is essential for sound health as it is known as next to godliness. Taking bath daily, washing hands before meal and after using toilet, keeping body and hair free from bacteria and dirt, we can surely expect worldly and spiritual success. Besides we must ensure pollution free environment, drink boiling and filtering water, cut our nail. Following the above steps, we can lead a happier and healthier life.
- (U-3, L-1) In order to lead a happy life and to concentrate on any work, good health is essential for everyone. Eating a balance diet, taking regular physical exercises, going to bed early at night, rising early in the morning, one can certainly ensure sound health. Of course, one has to be free from anxieties. Good health also brings metal peace and removes tiredness.
- (U-3, L-5) This letter is written by Robi to his bosom friend, Shohel informing the tragic death of his father caused by smoking. A detail description is found about the negative aspects of smoking and its ultimate consequences. We also experience a shocking event like unexpected ruin of Robi’s family due to the lack of only earning member.
- (U-3, L-6) Mr. Pronay Larma, the physical instructor, wants to know from the students what are important to maintain sound health. In reply, one emphasizes on cleanliness, balance diet, proper rest and sleep. Then Mr. Pronay Larma adds that physical exercises both indoors and outdoors are also needed to be cheerful and strong, to keep fit for work, to learn regularity and discipline.
- (U-3, L-8) Ms. Subarna, the class teacher, is talking to the students about how the classroom can be kept clean even in the absence of the school cleaner. She suggests them to make a forum and select a leader and then divide the cleaning activities among different groups. Now all the students of class 8 are very excited to be involved in this activity at school.
- (U-2, L-1) While Ms. Rehana Salam was talking to her class, she lays emphasis on the necessity of food. She being asked by a student, says that good food means the right kind of food for sound health. She also mentions that one should not eat too much. One should eat what is essential for our growth and physical structure.
- (U-1, L-2)Nakshi Kantha, a kind of traditional quilt, is well known for its embroidery with artistic pattern and design. The art of making Nakshi Kantha has been practised in rural Bengal for centuries. Traditional kanthas are made for family use with the help of old or new cloth and thread. However, now-a-days it is produced for commercial purpose and is found in expensive handicraft outlets.
- (U-5, L-3) Shamima was abused verbally as well as physically by her husband after her marriage. So, leaving her husband, she establishes an organization where many ill-fated women like her work. As she dreams to be a famous fashion designer, she makes various kinds of fabrics and dresses. Now her dream is to do something for the helpless.
- (U-5, L-2) When Shamima was only 15 and a student of class 8, she had all the dreams of an adolescent girl. She dreamt of completing her education and getting a good job for bringing a change in her life. But all her hopes were nipped in the bud due to her marriage with a man much older than her. In spite of undergoing a lot of sufferings in her life, she overcame all the obstacles by her extraordinary willpower and determination. Now she runs a boutique successfully.
- (U-5, L-5) Once two very good friends, a dove and a bat, set out on a long trip. After flying over rivers and hills when they came to a big jungle, a storm rose and it started to rain heavily. So they sought shelter in an owl’s nest on a tree. But the grumpy owl reluctantly gave them shelter and food. Though the bat falsely praised the owl to get more food, the owl was very pleased.
- People can record all the thoughts and ideas on paper nowadays. But it was very difficult in early days. In those days people used stone, wood, bark, leaves etc. for writing. These materials were not easy to get. For unavailability of writing materials, knowledge was limited. After the invention of paper, knowledge and information have become easy to spread. In modern age, we can gain knowledge by using digital form. Hence, paper has changed our life.
- In case of a lack of oxygen, an oxygen mask should be worn. After helping oneself, one should help others in this respect. In the event of an emergency. One should assume the bracing position. If instructed, the passenger should open the plastic pouch and remove the vest. The Passengers will find all the other safety information in the card which is located in the seat pocket in front of them. Besides if one has any questions, he or she can ask one of the crew members.
- Rona Begum came from a very poor family. She wanted to start a business but didn’t get any help from anywhere. At a stage, she started a business with 2500 taka and a borrowed sewing machine. This time she had to take three jobs to survive. Afterwards she took vocational training and owned a garments centre. Her business has expanded now and she has a partner. Presently Rona is the General Secretary of Women Business Forum, Sylhet. In last 15 years she received many awards and the Jatiya Juba Padak 2012. (91 words)
- Zara who lives in London with her parents has come to Bangladesh to visit her aunt and uncle. They have visited many interesting places in Bangladesh. Now. They have wanted to visit Thailand. Mita, Zara and her parents have come to Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport to board the plane bound for Thailand. Mita’s uncle brings forms to fill in before going through immigration. They start filling in the forms to give some information.
- Wasik Farhan, a boy of 6, hopes to become the world’s youngest computer expert. From his early childhood, he had shown his talents for computer. At four, he was a master of playing video games and typing in Microsoft Word. At seven he began computing. His ambition is to be a computer expert at a big computer firm in the future. His mother hopes that Wasik will be mentioned in Guinness World Records. And the Guinness world records welcome Wasik’s family to make a claim on their website.
- On Sunday Mita, Zara , Jhuma and Mazharul Islam got ready very early for Tha Kha floating market. They reached there sharp at 7. The market was on boats and sellers were mainly elderly Thai women. Their boats were laden with bundles of lotus flowers, farm-fresh coconuts, fruits, vegetables, local food and delicious sweets.